Smilie Gregg Rogers Esq

Smilie Gregg Rogers Esq

We care. We just happen to be lawyers.

York, ME

  • user-graduate Education University of Washington School of Law and University of Oregon School of Law
  • Experience 20 years of experience year
Share the profile
Offers Free Consultation & Video Conferencing

Practice Areas

Estate Planning
Elder Law
Tax Law
Estate Planning

Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice

  • Maine
    Since 2006

Video Conferencing

Zoom GoToMeeting Microsoft Teams

Professional Experience

  • Attorney/Owner
    Law Office of Smilie G. Rogers, PLLC
    2010 - Current

Professional Associations

  • Maine State Bar # 004023


  • University of Washington School of Law
    LL.M. | Taxation
    2000 - 2001


  • Paul Harris Fellow - Honorary Award
Legal Answers
  • Q. My father gave me and my sister his house before he died do we have to pay capital gains if we sell it
    A: Property transferred by gift usually require the recipient to use the Donor's income tax basis. That carryover basis results in the preservation of built in capital gains. Had your father devised the property to you and your sister at death, you likely would have received a basis reflecting the properties then fair market value. Whether or not you now have to pay capital gains on the sale depends on 1) your carryover basis; 2) the amount of capital improvements made; 3) the amount you realize on the sale and 4) the property's ownership/use history since it was given to you. If the property has been owned and used as a principal residence, some or all of the gain might be avoided. Your question is not a complex one but requires further analysis based on your specific facts.
    May 18, 2013


  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted